Founder / Director – Karina Gray
Welcome and thanks for taking a moment to find out more about my professional journey, I founded Starwin Management in 2010 with the goal to be a leading social entrepreneur, but there were many significant steps along the way before I arrived at the point of taking the leap to start my own business.
I extend an open invitation, if you are in Darwin or ever visiting, please take the time to come by at Starwin Shopfront (Shop 2 /93 Mitchell str), as I am always willing to tell my story and ‘share the Starwin spirit’. Hopefully it inspires others be a champion for community change too. In the interim, below is a snapshot…
Have you ever heard of a place called Geraldton in Western Australia? Geraldton has been producing sporting stars (especially AFL) for several generations. Some of the names gracing our sporting fields today you may know include: Paddy Ryder (Port Adelaide), Harry Taylor (Geelong), Josh Kennedy (West Coast) and Jack Martin (Gold Coast Suns), to name a few.
Whilst I cannot claim to be as famous or as successful as others from Geraldton, I feel honoured that along my journey I have helped many others be the best they can be.
Born to parents who were business owners (founders of the first ever supermarket in a small town called Kalbarri), I grew up and completed my education in Perth. Since the age of 14 I have always combined work with study and my sporting pursuits. Following university I returned to my hometown of Geraldton and worked in community service roles before taking the step to relocate to the ACT to forge a career in Federal Government. My career journey has taken me all over the country, in urban, regional and remote places in WA, ACT and NSW, and since 2008, the Northern Territory (which had been my annual holiday destination since 2002).
Since then, I have held positions with Tiwi Islands Shire Council; Darwin High School; NT Department of Health & Families; Saint Marys Football, Sporting & Social Club; and ABC Local Radio – Sport, giving me the opportunity to build strong networks and experience in the community and sports sectors in the NT. After completing my third tertiary qualification (an Associate Degree in Legal Studies) I felt ready to live my dream – setting up my own social enterprise, founded on my commitment and passion for; improving the lives of young people, sport, travel and community development.
* To view a full version of my Curriculum Vitae: Karina GrayCV_2014. For a summary – see below:
- Bachelor of Social Science (E.C.U). Major – Youth Work, Minor – Justice Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Entrepreneurship (C.S.U.)
- Associate Degree in Legal Studies (C.D.U.)
- Certificate of Directors Essentials (A.I.C.D.)
- Level One Coaching Certification – Youth / Seniors (AFL)
- Sports Mentoring Certificate (Australian Sports Commission)
I have experience in working in community organisations and all three arms of Government (Federal, State and Local). My focus has been working to develop and support young people in our community, improving participation in sports to build vibrant communities and promoting positive education, training and employment opportunities for young people, especially Indigenous people.
Roles in sport industry:
- Assistant Director; Sport Industry Section for the Australian Government
- Football Administration & Marketing Officer; Saint Marys Football, Sporting & Social Club
- Producer – Sports Radio; ABC NT
- Sport & Recreation Officer; Tiwi Islands
- Volunteer; Tiwi Bombers Football Club
- Women’s Captain; Nightcliff Tigers Football Club
- Coach Tiwi Bombers Youth Girls (AFL) side – premiers 2011
- Team Manager; NT Thunder U16s National Championships (AFL)
- Board Member; ANU Griffins Football Club
- Assistant Coach; Eastlake U14s Premiership side (AFL)
- Austswim teacher
- Ron Evans Leadership Award Winner 2014
- Member of the NT Youth Justice Advisory Council 2012
- Board Member of Foundation for Young Australians 2005-2008
- ACT Women’s AFL Representative Team 2008
- Inaugural Member of Brightest Young Minds Summit 2007
- Featured in the ‘Who’s Who of Australian Women’ Publication 2007/2008
- Golden Key National Honour Society Member for oustanding academic achievement
- Departmental (DEEWR) Secretary’s Award for Program Implementation (IYEC Program) 2006
- Living in Harmony Award – Lleuwin Sailing Ship 2004
- Youth Representative, WA Ministerial Council on Child Protection 2003
- Youth Representative, WA Family and Children’s Advisory Committee 2000
I have known and worked with Karina for a number of years. I find Karina down to earth, sincere and someone who puts her heart and soul into her work to ensure it has a positive impact on people no matter who they are, where they come from or their background. Karina is professional and is able to engage and relate to people in any environment. When Karina sets her heart and mind to doing something you can be assured it will benefit the person or community involved.
Kind words from Darryl Miller, Indigenous elder and my previous mentor in Australian Government
For an insight into my personal connection to the Tiwi Islands, you are welcome to follow my blog – Turtle Dreaming.