K is for Kids...
In 2017 we launched our Storytime @ Starwin series after a local Mum asked us to host an Indigenous storytelling session as she couldn't find one for her kids to attend during NAIDOC Week.
Local Tiwi Mum to be & Children's Educator Casimira Tipiloura designed a storytelling approach & Storytime @ Starwin was born. Sessions include storybook time, sing songs and colouring activities. This led to more of our team taking up the opportunity to host storytime sessions (Sharona, Rosie and Ellen in Darwin) and in 2019, Ellie hosted sessions at our Port Douglas shop.
These sessions align with our 2020 Vision: Sea Change which holds children as a priority. The themes that are important to us are:
- 'doing business better': promoting the good works done in community by The Indigenous Literacy Foundation, Magabala Books and other Indigenous publishers
- 'caring for kids': studies show the more parents engage with and read to their children, the less likely it is they will be imprisoned later in life
- 'keeping culture strong': celebrating the culture of Indigenous storytelling with the general community
- 'connecting community': bringing parents together
- 'creating career pathways': showcasing strong Indigenous women as Children's Educators and generating income for community leaders
Find out more...
- visit our Storytime @ Starwin page