Starwin Shopfront was established in 2013 and became by invitation a hub for top end artisans, mumpreneurs and local cultural leaders to showcase their talent.
We are committed to growing our enterprise sustainably across the tropical north and are now co-located in Darwin and Port Douglas, opening up the connect across country from Tiwi to the Daintree.
Our team of suppliers has grown from just three when we began in 2013 to over 60 in just five years, with a focus on quality art you can wear and art you can use.
We recognise fake art harms culture, but prefer to focus on our messages of "keeping culture strong", "caring for country" and "caring for kids" to address this.
The way we work is to build collaborative relationships, based on trust and transparency. Our Starwin Statement tells the story of this.
How we lead the way...
- we are a certified Australian Made Supporter, meaning the largest majority of our products are Australian Made and more often than not are handmade. We mention whenever a product is not made in aus and give explanation why.
- we work by invitation, instead of investing in advertising, we invest in relationships. We work with those who invite us to do so, and once we establish common goals, we put this into practice.
- our artisans and suppliers set their own wholesale and retail prices, we have no set commission and this is self led and supported.
- we support our suppliers through actively promoting and sharing their stories
- we are a hub space for people to design, facilitate and deliver their own workshops. Starwin self-funds these and any donations by participants are given in full to the workshop leader
- we support our workers to establish their own small enterprises and/or pursue their study and career goals, and see their time with Starwin as a launching pad. Many of whom have gone on to achieve great things locally, nationally and internationally
- we support suppliers who allow Indigenous designers to retain their own copyright and who make informed choices about licensing arrangements. All of our products give a greater percentage of profit back
- we are a for profit for purpose enterprise. The money we make, is invested into our Tiwi Youth Girls Leadership programs, our Higher Attire for Young Stars initiative and other community events we sponsor.
Some of the resources we share with our suppliers and team so they can do business better include:
If you would like to collaborate with us, become a supplier or find out more, we invite you to get in touch